My house smells like dogs despite all my efforts to keep them clean and well-groomed. Any pet owner knows the struggle. Believe it or not, their scent doesn’t really bother me, but that could have something to do with the fact that I love them to what some may call an unhealthy degree.
Although I may swoon at every lick and nuzzle, I can’t expect the same of my house guests. So, in preparation for the holidays, I tested out an easy and festive DIY potpourri made with ingredients found in my cupboards and fridge. Once it’s ready, just place the potpourri in your empty Bijou base for that perfect, French-inspired look.
I cannot stress how simple this DIY project is. You can literally do it in the ten minutes you’ve set aside to cool the pumpkin pie. Here’s what you will need:
- A large navel orange
- Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Anise stars
- 1 pot
- An empty Bijou candle base
I love this orange-cranberry scent, but maybe you prefer apple-cinnamon or lemon-raspberry. Select a few of your favorite natural scents and try those out instead.
1. Combine your ingredients in a medium-sized pot and add just enough water to cover.
2. Place on the stove element and bring to a low boil.
3. If you are hoping to use the potpourri as part of your holiday décor, leave the mixture on simmer until just before your guests arrive and transfer to your Bijou candle base. Be sure that you are keeping a close eye on your potpourri as it simmers for safety reasons.
4. If the scent is your only goal and the area in which you will be entertaining guests is close to your kitchen, allow the mixture to simmer throughout the evening. You may be required to add more water as it evaporates.
5. Complement your potpourri base with festive holiday decorations. I chose a squash, some leaves and a beautiful cherry wood cutting board. Use as centerpieces or general household décor.
6. As the evening wraps up, dispose of the mixture so as not to attract unwelcome house guests such as bugs and rodents. Alternatively, you can store the potpourri in your fridge and re-use for up to a week after.
This intoxicating scent is sure to impress your guests and appeal to their senses. Try apples in place of oranges or rosemary instead of cloves. Share your concoctions with us and let us know what you thought of this easy, aromatic DIY project!
Now you can choose your own Bijou base, from colors Pearl, Stone, Custard or Noir. Build Your Bijou here.
About the writer:
Always a dreamer, Jill is a passionate writer and photographer based in Toronto.